Follow

Thursday 6 August 2015

Review: 'I Am The Messenger' By Markus Zusak

This is without a doubt one of the best books I've read this year, an unforgettable story that will stay with me for a very very long time! 

'I Am The Messenger' follows 19 year old Ed Kennedy. Ed's an underage cab driver, useless at romancing women, lazy and downright useless! His own mother can't stand him and his brother and two sisters ignore him too. This all changes the day Ed stops a bank robbery and becomes worthwhile. The first card that arrives is the ace of diamonds and written on it are three addresses that he must visit at given times, Ed goes to these addresses at the given times and learns what he must do. As the story continues and Ed receives the remaining aces, Ed discovers that he must do whatever it takes - big or small - to better these people's lives... and maybe even his own. 

PLOT: The plot took me in straight away! I'd never read anything like this in my life and the premise interested beyond belief. It's like nothing I've ever read and I'm so glad I picked it up as it's been sitting on my shelf for ages now! I never predicted the ending or any of the other little twists and turns throughout the story, and this meant that I was constantly surprised and shocked by the turn of events. It's genuinely such a heart-warming story. 

CHARACTERS: Ed was such a relatable protagonist. He wasn't a hero and he had no special powers but somehow he made this book so magical. I suffered with him during the difficult moments and cheered and smiled with him in the happy ones, I felt every single thing he felt in this book and I really related to him as a character. The Doorman, Ed's dog, although an animal was such a great character within this book, he had so much character and was so well written, his relationship with Ed was described perfectly as I often find myself having conversations with my pets and feeling as though they're talking back to me and this was perfectly shown in this book. Audrey, Marv and Ritchie were such loveable best friends for Ed and they made me laugh and cry in equal measure - the book wouldn't have been the same without them. Perhaps the most well written were Ed's subjects - the people he had to help - they made this book beautiful, sad, happy, angry and brought so much life to the pages. Markus Zusak seems to have a talent for writing extremely real and memorable characters. 

WRITING STYLE: Beautiful. Perfect. Unforgettable. Amazing. There are no words to describe the beautiful way in which this book was written so those words will have to do. I cannot fault this book in any way in terms of writing... or anything really. 

EMOTIONS: This book really touched me in so many ways. I completely connected to the characters and their situations, even though I'd never experienced some of the things they were dealing with. The bits that particularly got to me were the times where Ed was with an old lady called Milla, those bits really tugged at my heart strings and had me crying at times. Like I said I laughed, I cried, I was angry, I smiled, I was surprised. I felt everything this book was offering and it was incredible. We've all felt the sting on unrequited love and somehow Zusak perfectly managed to capture this in the relationship between Ed and Audrey, it was so difficult watching them trying to hold on to their special friendship when all these feelings between them were being left unspoken - that was another aspect to this book that Zusak handled perfectly. 

ENDING: The ending was perfect. I really didn't think what happened was going to happen and it did and I was so happy! Everything was tied up so spectacularly and I'm completely satisfied with the book as a whole. 


5/5 Stars without a doubt! 




This review is also on my Goodreads, follow me on there: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/30517727-ashleigh-geekie
Follow me on insta: Ashers_6
Follow me on Bloglovin, just click the button at the top of the page! 

No comments:

Post a Comment