Follow

Wednesday 23 September 2015

Review: 'Me Before You' By Jojo Moyes


Before reading 'Me Before You' it was often described to me as a love story. I completely disagree with this description of this book. Yes, there is a love story in this book, but the love story is not, in my opinion, the main focus of the book. This book is so much more than its love story, for me it was a book all about living life to the fullest and grabbing opportunities as they come at you. It was such a life-affirming book and I love it so much.

The story follow Louisa Clark, a 26 year old woman who wants nothing but a simple existence. However her simple existence is thrown into chaos when she loses her job as a waitress at The Buttered Bun. Suddenly jobless, with no qualifications her job prospects aren't looking so great, her one choice is to take on a job as a carer for a quadriplegic for 6 months. Louisa is expecting an old miserable man, however, what she finds is the young, handsome and incredibly sad Will.
When Will's accident happened and he found himself a quadriplegic he tried really hard to stay positive, but as time passed and the reality of his condition sunk in he became depressed and desperate. Louisa's job is to make Will want to live again, however she might just find that this is what he does for her.

The characters are fantastic and so relatable. Louisa was such a great narrator to the story, I felt her passion and desperation to enthuse Will and it made me desperate for her to succeed too. I fell in love with Will and wanted desperately for him to want to live again. I found myself becoming incredibly attached to these two characters and unable to put this book down. They are definitely two characters I will remember for a very long time.

The writing style was simply beautiful. Moyes creates a world and a story that grips your mind and heart and turns your world upside down. I was absolutely devastated by the ending and all the emotions it brought with it. I couldn't believe that this was something that happens every day in our world and yet it's something that we barely hear about. This book covers such an important topic and it really is an important as well as an entertaining read.

Although the ending was devastating, it was exactly as it should have been. If it hadn't have ended that way I would've been disappointed, as much as I thought I wanted the happily ever after it just wouldn't have been realistic. However, after everyone saying how emotional this book was, I was a little bit disappointed that I didn't cry as much as I thought I would. I think the way the ending was written could have been more emotional so I was a little bit miffed that it wasn't but it was still fab.

Overall rating: 4/5 Stars

This review is also on Goodreads, add me on there: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/30517727-ashleigh-geekie

Follow me on Bloglovin, just click the widget at the top of the page!

For business enquiries and questions contact: liveinsidethepages@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment